To everything there is a season




 Today, marks an end of an era for me.  It’s not only that I turned 42, but also, today, I am no longer the basketball lady.  
  In late fall of 2019, 5 months into my recovery, I signed my girls up to play Enter His Courts basketball, a Basketball Ministry that had been serving our county for 31 years. Having my own personal love for the game and coaching experience (sending several teams to State In Special Olympics and one athlete to the World games) I, of course, checked the box to coach their teams.  A month and half had passed when the phone rang with Olivia’s coach on the other line. While I was excited she would be learning the game from someone with DII experience. Shame became the loudest voice in my head.  “Why would they choose you, an addict, to coach.kids in a Christian basketball league?” “You’re just a junkie headed for inevitable relapse.”  The voices only grew louder as depression set in. When a week had passed with no word from a coach for Lorelei, hope began to rise up.  Maybe, just maybe, I was the coach.  Happenstance would have it that Tim Goodpaster, Mr EHC himself, would cross paths that day in our church office.  Before I could get a word out he says, “Hey, I know you had signed up to coach but I want you to pray about something. I’m needing someone for the K-1 Boys league, to run the games, keep the score, and broadcast. Oh, and you’ll be the one sharing the Gospel each week with the teams and the crowd.”   My insides began doing somersaults.  This guy wants me?  Does he not know my past?  Me? I have stage fright. Me? Commentating a game?! I mean, sure, I had served the ministry prepping and selling their pomme frittes,  but what is this giy thinking?! While my fear for public speaking/public anything was great and my doubts for me as a whole person were even greater I agreed to seek God’s direction and headed out to clean 2 houses, both new customers. 
Entering the first home, still reeling from Tim’s request, I asked God to hit me square with a sign.  “Am I really supposed to run these games? Like Gideon, give me a sign. A clear sign. I don’t ever want to be where you don’t want me, God.” “I’ve served me and my ideals for so so long. Let me know for certain. Please God,” I pleaded as I gathered my supplies and headed into the home. Wouldn’t you know it, it was like March Madness had thrown up all over this house. All the evidence of last nights late away game strown about the home. Okay,  God I see you.  And the next house, not one but 2, Enter His Courts shirts from previous years crumpled up in 2 separate corners of 2 separate bedrooms.  Talk about being KO’d by the All Mighty.  Still I prayed on it for a few more days before saying yes.  
  Several weeks had passed, I had been trained, prepped, and it was time for Ministry team to meet up and pray over the now converted Cornerstone Sanctynasium.  Only no one showed except Tim and me. Talk about God leveling you up in an instant. As we paced about the sanctuary, Tim began to pray and intercede.  Back in my youth I had participated in this type of gathering, but it was in a jam packed church in Brownsville Pensacola.  Here the spot light would soon be on me.  In just a few this guy is gonna know I am no where near qualified. What a disappointment Im gonna be, I started to think as panic set in. Palms and pits sweaty, heart racing, hands trembling, as Tim declared and decreed righteously about the sanctuary floor. I was headed towards the door when his hand of perfect peace reached my shoulder and He prayed, “Father God, you have chosen and qualified my sister, Jess, for such a time as this. May she stand confident in the plan you have for her.  Show her the tools you have given her long ago to complete this task. And silence the other voices, Jesus, just as you silenced them before. Fear has no place.” Talk about igniting the fire.  I couldn’t tell you what I prayed. I only know, we had church after that, taking turns praying and interceding for the season to come for over an hour.  From that moment on I was hooked. Without a doubt I was ready for some Jesus and Basketball. 

 Opening day began with me wearing my super mom cape having Olivia and Lorelei both playing in separate gyms. What could have easily seemed like a burden so easily, God used as opportunity as I was able to observe EHC veterans the Broughtons run games as well as the Legendary and Former EHC coach of the year, Dan Weaver.  There’s EHC basketball and then there’s EHC basketball at SCC.  Dan and his team go all out hosting these games. From the scoreboard to the basketball jams, the starting lineup to the ministry time, the way He calls a game, oh and the unbeweavable jokes, watching these games as I cheered on Liv proved invaluable to the games I was about to run. On my own. For the first time ever. Any nerves I had were gone. 
As I watched this game God sent me down memory lane. There I was back on the round a bout I grew up playing basketball on in the Section 8 apartments within which we lived. The only girl amongst seasoned street ballers. All the toughness and confidence I had carried on that court found me again in that gym, 25 years later. Fear was demolished. Liv’s game was over and we made our way back to Cornerstone.  

OH! I have totally forgotten one MAJOR detail of this timeframe and late starting basketball season.  February 2020 folks.  Covid was creeping in, fears were of plenty, during those prayer times we prayed for full bleachers so that all would have opportunity to hear the Gospel, and the children playing would have great encouragement from a full crowd.  Having all ready been to Lorelei’s game at CCC, I knew that game attendance had been down and secretly me natural self was happy there wasn’t going to be a crowd for my debut with the mic. 

Turning the corner onto Sarasota my eyes were astonished.  The entire parking lot was packed. 
Here we go Jesus.  Ima need you.  
A few more God winks would come into play as we started game 1. Mentor and Pastor Mitchell McIntyre would be the coach of one of the teams immediately bringing a sense of agape, home, and lightheartedness to the atmosphere. With the Broughton’s by my side(God wink #2) the game began and instantly I found my voice.  I LOVE broadcasting. It’s been my make a wish dream job since I can remember. Only God and the late Bret Daugherty knew this.   
He is El Roi, the God who sees me. Praise the Lord. 
When it came time for the lesson, Holy Spirit had me put the scripted lesson down, as I began sharing about the gift God had given the World in that He sent His son Jesus to die for our sins. Because He loved us so much He sent His son into the game for us. Here we had “fouled out,” here we should be benched for life, but Jesus loved us so much He took our fouls so we could stay in the game.  How marvelous. 

Two more times I’d get to share this message of hope and love  and every time the hundreds were fed. 
God had most certainly qualified the called. I was no longer a tool for the devil bartending, slinging, and all of the unmentionables. I was now an instrument for the Kingdom. Being used for His Glory! 

 “If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work.”
- 2 Tim 2:21

Week in and week out my love for this ministry began to grow. You see I’m a mom to all girls. While they’re most certainly the apples of my eyes, there’s moments I wish I had a boy.  On Saturday’s, I had nearly 80. Those young men will never know the shear joy they brought to my life. I might be a girl Mom but God saw fit that I got to be Jesus to those fellas, and man that’s just awesome. Let alone the fun calling these games(they’re a hoot,) teaching basketball basics, and giving back to my community. Let’s not forget about the accountability this position made me have so early on in my recovery.  From week one to present day I cannot go to a crowded place in Jackson County without some young man saying Hi to the basketball lady.  Ive even been recognized my bleacher moms at 
yard-sales. Such a precious gift given to me. Eternally grateful. 
(Is it my phone or is something up with this script? Dear technology demons. Stop messing with my font! In Jesus name. Amen) 


Then (wow, God, my font just went normal. So awesome!) came Salvation Saturday.  A day where the lesson share includes leading the teams and crowd in the sinners prayer.  There wasn’t an empty seat in the house with even more attendees standing about. As I began leading the prayer, I could no longer hear the sound of my voice coming through the amp over the crowd repeating that prayer.   You wanna talk about liberating.  From that moment on I have known without a doubt I am to be God’s mouthpiece. I have seen first hand the Kingdom Impact when I obey and show up in spirit and in truth, God shows off. I knew better but didn’t do better for so long, yet God chose me. Humbly in awe of His favor upon this lowly servant. 

Thank you, Tim, for seeking God’s will and for trusting me with this position for the past 3 years.   Year in and year out that age division grew. Fruit was multiplied.  Even into this season, that division near tripling in size. Like Paul to Timothy you have trained and equipped me like no other. The accountability entrusted to me was refining to say the least. Because you sowed into me and placed me in that position,  the Potter was able to mold me into the woman starting a ministry of her own, hosting chapel inside the county jail.  You not only changed my life you’re changing others. Yay God 😎

Last but not least, you and your family have gone above and beyond, being vessels of Jirehs provision over the years in countless ways.   You guys made us an extension of your family. Countless times I have prayed for release of a need and every time, He used you. Even tho we had never discussed it. Thank you for being His instruments of Glory, Goodness, and grace time and time again. Not only did your actions bless us in those moments, you impacted and equipped us each with a heart to serve and share in the overflow of His love and provision. Thank you for giving to the Lord. For I am a life that was changed. 

Today, I am grievous, as my whistle will continue to hang from my rearview rather than around my neck. Although I have His perfect peace as He is transitioning me into a new season, I certainly am missing the sights, sounds, and Jesus, of my wintry Saturdays. I’ll miss the delight the play of those young men brought as well as Weaver’s bad jokes, however, I never have to miss all this ministry has given me as I move forward along His path for me.  I look forward to continuing to serve this ministry in prayer and in pomme frittes.  You might not hear my voice on the mic, but forever I am there. In spirit and in truth. 

 Thank you again, Timothy and Sally Goodpaster, for making disciples that make disciples that make disciples. πŸ”₯πŸ€✝️πŸ€πŸ”₯
Thank you Jesus for taking my fouls so that I could stay in the game. Eternally you’ll be my MVP.
 ✝️πŸ€πŸ©ΈπŸ€✝️

    

Comments

  1. Beautiful!!!!!! You are such a vessel!!!! Thank you God! Thank you God! Thank you God! You are a pillar in the recovery community! Thank you for raising your voice, Jess. Thank you for being a great influence for the children. Thank you for being spirit led. Thank you for showing there is a sweet smell to the Lord‘s grace and forgiveness. What an amazing person you are Jess Moss !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 😭❤️😭❤️. Thank you! Such an encouraging word

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you and love this !

    ReplyDelete
  4. U R Truly the hands and feet of Jesus may the Lord bless U and your Ministry Jessica love your work and U

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wherever you go, I will go

Trying to make sense is plain senseless